If you enjoy gardening, this time of the year can almost make you giddy! The sun is out longer, the rains are subsiding, and your garden is shaking off its winter blues. If you’re like many green thumbs, you’re just waiting for the perfect time to get your hands dirty…literally!
For those of you who are looking at the back yard from inside the house with trepidation as to where to start all this yard work, we’re here to help. Some simple garden chores will have you competing for ‘best yard on the block’ in no time!
1. Prep your existing garden tools or go purchase new ones. Clean them off with warm soap and weather and polish wooden handles with mineral spirits to keep them from splintering.
2. Grab a trash or recycling bag and start picking up all the bits that have landed in your yard throughout the winter from scattered toys, trash, broken branches and general debris. You’ll be amazed at just how much there is to throw away and how clean it will look when you’re finished.
3. Start planning what you’d like to change this year from ordering new patio furniture to replanting a flower bed to adding a fun new water feature. Sketch it out and start determining what you need to do or purchase to make your ideas a reality.
4. Throw some love at your earth….you can really throw it! Purchase fertilizer you can sprinkle across your gardens, grass, trees, etc. all preparing them for the warm sunny months ahead.
5. Cut back and dead head anything that has died over the winter. If these are perennials, you will be giving them a nice new start for the next growing season. If you planted annuals and they are past their peak, pull them out and plan your next colorful acquisition.
Gardening may appear to be hard work, but really it’s just one of the potentially gratifying tasks that goes along with owning a home. Slap on some sunscreen, charge your outdoor speaker and have some fun with it. You may find you go from someone who views yard work with a sneer to someone who can’t wait to dance around the garden with a rake as your dance partner!
Many of our homes have large spacious lots just waiting to be landscaped to your liking. You can see all our communities here to see which one could quite possibly have the yard of your dreams!